inquiry 102199h

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 102199h
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:23:58 -0400
Tim Ronak wrote:
>Shocks: I have Konis but it seems that they collapse
>with only modest effort and then take significant effirt
>to extend ....is this normal??

         (random conjecture) Gee, Tim, I've never worn out a set of
Konis (wasn't sure it was possible*); but I've pulled off enough OEM
shocks to put Konis on. It seems that when I play w/the old shocks, they
never seem to be as soggy in both directions equally. My WAG (wild-*ss
guess): worn shocks. BTW, did you try the Koni adjustment feature to see
if the 'imbalance' remains throughout the adjustment range?

>But a local Alpine guy indicated that if you install
>the lower fulcrum pin in backwards with the (pin
>swapping ends) you can improve Caster and make
>the car less twitchy at speed. Has anyone else done
>this out there and what are the suggestions.

        Sounds like a dramatic way of getting caster! I'm guessing the
stub-axle carrier is about 8" high, making the diameter of an imaginary
circle if you move one end around holding one end still about 16"; times
pi is 50.27". One inch movement of one end of the stub axle carrier
would be about 2% of that circle, or 7 degrees additional caster. Went
through the exercice twice mentally, my grade-school math is holding, or
am I missing something? Plus, it only _looked_ to me like a one-inch
difference to me, thinking back to when I put the new fulcrum pins in.

* not counting the time I bought some used Konis from Tiger Tom for my
old SV Alpine, and destroyed them immediately by putting them on the
front when they were rear shocks -- ccccrunch! Next time -- I ask which
end _first_!

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com (new)
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333