Re: Diagnosis: confusion

To: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>,
Subject: Re: Diagnosis: confusion
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:21:14 -0700
Larry, Doug, Mike, Bill,

My Eudora went down this morning and took my morning E-mail with it. It's
rebuilt and I'm back on-line now. Didn't get Mike's longish riddle post. I
would comment that the distributor per se is not what is affected by the
ballast resistor; it's the coil. There are 9V coils and 12V coils. 9'V
coils use the ballast resistor, which is by-passed by the solenoid switch
when the starter is engaged.

Also, Doug's comment and Larry's concurrence about solid ignition wires:

>Would you by any chance be running solid core plug wires?
>
>If so you can NOT run them with a MSD box or any computer ignition...
>The RF noise will kill the box.
>
>Doug

I hadn't heard this and I'm surprised. I assume he doesn't mean the solid
spiral-wound type of wires. In any case, I have run my MSD with straight
and spiral-wound solid (i.e., low resistance) wires without any problem. My
MSD-6A unit must be about twenty years old now and still works fine. I do
agree that taking the MSD out of the loop would facilitate trouble-shooting
- whatever the problem is.

At 04:51 PM 10/21/99 -0400, Larry Paulick wrote:
>Mike, just take the MSD out of the loop, and you can check whether the
>MSD is the problem.  Make sure you have a ballast resistor in the
>circuit if called for by the MSD distributor wiring.  Mallory
>distributors want a resistor if no MSD.  Don't know about MSD
>distributors.  Suggestion on solid plug wires also true.
>
>Larry

Bob