Re: busted stud...

To: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>,
Subject: Re: busted stud...
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 16:06:22 -0800
Colin,

This is exactly why I recommend replacing those 7/16" studs with 1/2". As
for an easy way to replace them, the usual procedure is to pull the hub -
which can be tough if they haven't been pulled recently. I assume you have
notes on how best to do this. If not, we can help. I know someone who made
holes in the backing plates to let him replace the studs. I haven't tried
this myself, but feel free to try it - at your own risk of course. I would
recommend pulling the hub so you can do a proper job of machining the hub
for 1/2" studs- or even the 7/16" replacement which may have a bigger
knurled shank.

I believe there were some postings on recommended lug torques posted awhile
back. I think 50 lb-ft of torque is too much - well, at least way more than
you need. They don't get stronger the more you torque them. I think you
just want enough to ensure they don't come loose again. I think I remember
around 35 lb-ft being recommended. Maybe you should check the calibration
of your torque wrench if you are breaking lug bolts at 50 lb-ft - or maybe
the lug manufacturer.

Brgds,

Bob