RE: Measuring Temperature Drop Across Radiator

To: "'Richard F Flynn'" <rflynn@dircon.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: Measuring Temperature Drop Across Radiator
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@isotel.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 13:32:00 -0700
When I had my rad recored, I drilled a hole in each tank, one below the
header tank transfer hose connection, and the other one about 2" above the
outlet hose connection (What? Of course it interferes with the shroud
mounting. I wasn't thinking). Then I screwed in a pair of brass 3/8" pipe
thread to 1/8" pipe thread adapters, and soldered these in place. When I
run out of other projects I can drill the 1/8" pipe thread plugs that are
in there to fit thermocouple senders, and then measure the inlet and outlet
temperatures.

To measure the air temp, the thing to do would be to attach a thermocouple
to a heat sink (like from a CPU cooler) and then hang one of these ahead of
the rad, and one behind (don't get it caught in the fan).

Then get a lab assistant to write down numbers as you drive, or vice versa,
or lug your laptop with a data acquisition system into the car, and get it
to take the data.

Theo Smit
tsmit@home.com
B382002705