RE: Measuring Temperature Drop Across Radiator

To: Richard F Flynn <rflynn@dircon.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: Measuring Temperature Drop Across Radiator
From: Hogan Rob <rhogan@turbos.bwauto.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 16:12:25 -0500
Assuming that you mean measuring the radiator's inlet and outlet water
temperature and not the air temperature without modifying the radiator tanks
or tubing, one method would be to fabricate a tube of outer diameter =
radiator hose inner diameter with a centrally located thermocouple well to
accomodate either a mechanical gauge or instrumentation recorder
thermocouple.  Two of these fabricated tubes would then be installed between
the radiator hoses and a short length of connecting hose.  Setting the well
depth to locate the thermocouple at the center of the flow field would
minimize fluid temperature measurement error from end wall cooling.

Measuring inlet or exhaust air temperature is significantly more complicated
and usually involves the integrated measurement of a matrix of thermocouples
to determine air stream temperature across the radiator without conductive
heat effects by the radiators metal fins or tubing.

In either case, recording of the observed or directly measured data is best
simplified by getting the readings at some steady state conditions.