RE: cracked oil line.

To: "'Ronak, TP (Timothy)'" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>,
Subject: RE: cracked oil line.
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@isotel.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 15:54:21 -0700
Hi Tim,

I don't think so because the crack in the oil line is a relatively recent
thing (it didn't leak oil until a week and a half ago), while the oil
pressure goofiness has been going on since SUNI.

On the way back from SUNI I noticed that the oil pressure while cruising at
70 mph or so was down between 45 and 50 psi. It was hot out there. When I
got back to town I removed the oil cooler, replaced the filter, and changed
the oil. Presto! 75 psi cold, 65 psi hot. I cut the filter to pieces and
didn't find anything, so I cursed oil coolers for a while, and left it at
that. Fast forward to October, and once again the oil pressure is down
below 50 psi hot, and it's not going above 65 even when it's cold. I again
changed the oil and the pressure came right up. The oil that came out
looked a little funny but not metallic. (not really metallic). I haven't
cut the filter open yet.

So my scenarios are:
1. It's eating the bearings and the particles are clogging the filter,
which then causes the oil pressure drop.  I have a new oil pan on the way
so I'll have to drop the pan in a few weeks anyway, and then I'll pull a
bearing cap to know if that's the case or not.
2. The oil pump is toast and/or the relief valve is sticking. When the pan
comes off, a new pump will go in anyway. Any suggestions as to what type?
3. Maybe the PO used some miracle snake-oil additive and it's coming off
the inside of the engine, and that's plugging the filter. I've changed the
oil 4 times since I got the Tiger (in June '98), so I don't know how likely
this is.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Theo