RE: cracked oil line.

To: Theo Smit <tsmit@isotel.com>,
Subject: RE: cracked oil line.
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 17:48:06
Theo,

It is tempting to attribute the loss in oil pressure to a drop in the
viscosity of the oil. Been buying a cheap generic brand at K-Mart Theo??
No?? Well, maybe your oil is being diluted - perhaps by gasoline. Does it
smell funny too? I've never had this problem, so I'm just guessing what
gasoline in the oil would look and smell like. You could change the oil and
NOT the filter and see if the oil pressure comes back up. That way you'd
know for sure it was just the oil. I'm hoping you find a lot simpler answer
than the bleak scenarios you suggested.

Good luck,

Bob

At 03:54 PM 11/5/99 -0700, Theo Smit wrote:
>Hi Tim,
>
>I don't think so because the crack in the oil line is a relatively recent
>thing (it didn't leak oil until a week and a half ago), while the oil
>pressure goofiness has been going on since SUNI.
>
>On the way back from SUNI I noticed that the oil pressure while cruising at
>70 mph or so was down between 45 and 50 psi. It was hot out there. When I
>got back to town I removed the oil cooler, replaced the filter, and changed
>the oil. Presto! 75 psi cold, 65 psi hot. I cut the filter to pieces and
>didn't find anything, so I cursed oil coolers for a while, and left it at
>that. Fast forward to October, and once again the oil pressure is down
>below 50 psi hot, and it's not going above 65 even when it's cold. I again
>changed the oil and the pressure came right up. The oil that came out
>looked a little funny but not metallic. (not really metallic). I haven't
>cut the filter open yet.
>
>So my scenarios are:
>1. It's eating the bearings and the particles are clogging the filter,
>which then causes the oil pressure drop.  I have a new oil pan on the way
>so I'll have to drop the pan in a few weeks anyway, and then I'll pull a
>bearing cap to know if that's the case or not.
>2. The oil pump is toast and/or the relief valve is sticking. When the pan
>comes off, a new pump will go in anyway. Any suggestions as to what type?
>3. Maybe the PO used some miracle snake-oil additive and it's coming off
>the inside of the engine, and that's plugging the filter. I've changed the
>oil 4 times since I got the Tiger (in June '98), so I don't know how likely
>this is.
>
>Anyone out there have any suggestions?
>
>Theo
>
>On Friday, November 05, 1999 8:31 AM, Ronak, TP (Timothy)
>[SMTP:Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com] wrote:
>> Theo and Rick you said,
>>
>> <When I had my rad recored, I drilled a hole in each tank, one below the
>> header tank transfer hose connection, and the other one about 2" above
>the
>> outlet hose connection (What? Of course it interferes with the shroud
>> mounting. I wasn't thinking).>
>>
>> Hey Theo could this crack in your oil line be the drop in oil pressure
>that
>> you have been experiencing at the gauge.

Bob Palmer
UCSD, AMES Dept.
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu