Re: Temperature drop across a rad

To: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Subject: Re: Temperature drop across a rad
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:20:40 -0800
"Ronak, TP (Timothy)" wrote:

> Bob, Steve, Theo, and Listers,
> Help me out here,
>
> Bob, You said,
> (You don't seem to be confused about the issue of odd versus even number of
> passes Steve. If you wanted a two-pass you could, for example, move the
> inlet to the same side as the outlet; i.e., the right hand side. This would
> be possible with an alternator if it is located as low as possible or even
> moved to the left hand side (but which I wouldn't recommend).)

You would also eliminate, or complicate, the "expansion tank", the "little tube
that does 'something'", the Genuine Rootes Factory Windshield Washer Bottle,
and I
really am not sure, myself, why this would be important.  Bob, and others seem
think it makes a big difference, but I have never gotten an explanation of why.
Could just be my ignorance of the reasoning.  The old Mustang had the inlet and
outlet on the same side on the down-flow 6, but on opposite sides for the
down-flow V-8.  Then, about '67, changed it (I think).  Not saying down-flow is
equivalent to cross flow, here. I too, could use some illumination for this
discussion.

> Based on our current discussion of cooling my question relates to pressure
> in a hydraulic system. I have heard people saying that there is more
> pressure right after the pump than there is at the end of the water path in
> a cooling system. My grade twelve physics is a little weak but in a
> hydraulic system pressure is supposed to be constant throughout the system.
> if it is not, how would brakes work? Is there a pressure differential due to
> steam in the system or is it due to differing temperatures through out the
> system?

Tim, there is a pressure differential, or there wouldn't be any flow.  Think of
the flow in this manner.  The water is 'sucked' into the water pump from the
lower
radiator hose.  That's why you need the wire inside, so it won't collapse as the
rubber gets soft with age.  It passes through the pump, getting a lot of flow
(and
pressure) increase.  It is pushed through the block, heads, then intake
manifold,
and then, through the thermostat housing into the radiator. All along the line,
restrictions and friction reduce pressure.

Now you are back at the beginning of this flow.  If you would like to start
elsewhere, just start reading there.  This is a closed system, and I just
started
at the bottom of the hill.  Now, when you add heat to the system, you change the
pressure to higher levels due to water volume expansion from temperature
increase.  Just add-on pressure, with the same relationship, all other
influences
remain proportionally the same. If you start boiling, then that's another tale.

> Liquid, for all intents and purposes, is incompressible at the pressures we
> are talking and as such should have equal pressure throughout the system.

Not so. Pressure can, and does change in the system, as explained.  It doesn't
have to compress.  Look at your last lawn sprinkler coverage, versus your first.

> Maybe some of you engineering types can helpout.

Maybe so.  I probably just started another food fight.  {9->

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/