1965 Tiger ... New Owner needs your help

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: 1965 Tiger ... New Owner needs your help
From: Hipo67@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:13:19 EST
Good evening gentlemen!

A new tiger owner here.  Purchased the car (in pieces) and brought it to Iowa
from the East coast.  I will be embarking on a challenging restoration and
could use lots and lots of help from all of you experienced, experts on
Tigers out there.

My first task is to locate appropriate books (text and pictures) to help me
along the way.  Remember my project is in quite a number of boxes in the
garage.

Additionally, since the car came from the East coast, it has been infected to
a degree with East coast rust mites ...  I already need to start looking for
the front lower valance/stone guard (not sure what it technically is called
... see need the books).  Need to replace metal under the driver seat area.
Need to find trunk bed replacement metal.  Okay, okay, I'm a glutton for
punishment.  Can these pieces be taken from a donor 1965 or 1966 Alpine?  Are
there any replacement sheetmetal outlets available out there?

The 260 is pretty complete ... missing the exhaust manifolds.  Were the stock
ford exhaust manifolds used?  Also missing the bellhousing ... again was this
special (I know it need the 5 bolt bellhousing).  Only other piece that I
think is missing is the air cleaner (and I can guess, it's probably unique to
the Tiger and expensive when you can find one ... Oh, please tell me I'm
wrong here).  By the way I have a built 289 waiting in the wings to drop in
this restoration ... I will be saving the original 260)

Most of the bright work, hinges, handles, etc. are pitted and weathered from
a very light degree to extremely bad.  What will work for repairs or
replacement here?  The front turn signal lights seem to be in good shape and
one rear tail light assembly (one has been dented and probably needs
replacement ... along with the lens).

My immediate plans are to start to detail all of the small parts that I can
... from motor mounts to pedals to convertible mechanism, etc.   Here is
where I can use some advice on proper detailing ... color, etc.  I am used to
restoring Ford Falcons and Mustangs and know of the detailing process there.
Need to learn about the Tiger.  Help!

I plan to have the underside of the car sandblasted and the other sheetmetal
media blasted.  I will go from there in a course of action for metal
replacement/repair.

I will be asking many more questions along the way ... and make decisions
based on advice I  may get in this forum.  For example, I understand the
original brakes left a lot to be desired ... would like opinions on
upgrading.

Well, if you have read this far ... bless you ... and thanks for you
interest.  I look forward to making many new friends here and hope you will
give me the benefit of your own experience in restoring the TIGER.

Thanks
I look forward to hearing from you ...
Gene
Sioux City, Iowa