Re: Slushomatic.

To: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Slushomatic.
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:30:23 -0800
Larry Paulick wrote:

> Congrats Jim on getting the Tiger on the road.  Question, how does the
> GTec measure distance?  I understand that it can measure the g force,
> and time, but you need distance as well.
>
> Also did you weigh the car to get an accurate weight with you in the
> car, and all the other stuff like gas, etc?  2,600 may be too light.
>
> What kind of carb do you have?  10 mpg seems very low for a 2.88 ratio.
>
> Larry

Larry,

Jim is out of town, starting today, and will be in my area.  Hope he stops by,
if
he can.

But I am somewhat familiar with the device, and can give you an answer until he
has read your mail and gives his own.

The answer is in the realm of the physical equations governing these
'measurements', so here goes a little math:

1) Distance = Rate x Time   ( 60 miles per hour x 2 hours = 120 miles)
2) Force = Mass x Acceleration  (2000 pounds mass x 1 g = 2000 pounds force)
3) Distance = 1/2 x Acceleration x Time^2 (squared)

So, if I know my weight (2600 pounds mass), and I measure my acceleration (1/2
g)
I can get the net driving force (including effects of drag). (Equation 2).

If I know my acceleration, and the time (measured by internal G-Meter clock
reset
at 'start test', I can calculate distance traveled (Equation 3)

There are more equations, but essentially your inputs of weight must be accurate
(and I trust Jim to be thorough here) and the rest is handled by a solid mount
of
the device, it's internal sensors and clock, and it's internal simple
calculator.

Hope this helps, more than confuses.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/