RE: visit

To: "'Chris Vaught'" <cvaught@hawaii.rr.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: visit
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:00:53 -0700
Chris,

There is a good exhaust picture in one of the articles in the "Sunbeam
Alpine/Tiger Gold Portfolio" (I think that's the title) - it's a collection
of magazine reprints. It's taken with the car up on a floor hoist.
If you don't have the book, things go as follows: On each side, straight
back from the headers through the forward leg of the X member (there's an
oval hole there for it), then underneath the rear leg of the X. The mufflers
fit under the rear shelf area. From there you go straight back, under the
rear axle (do this with the axle in full droop), and then outwards and up to
meet the exhaust hangers at the rear valence panel. The exhausts come out
about 3" inboard of the bumperettes in the stock setup. Many people don't
bother to make two bends here, and bring the exhaust straight back from the
mufflers, so they end up closer together.

If you have the stock frame cutouts in the X, you will be quite restricted
in how large an exhaust pipe you can run through there. The factory system
was 1 5/8"... Some listers have cut the holes larger and welded a 3" tube
through there, and then run the exhaust through it. Don't cut the hole open
to the bottom because that weakens the frame tremendously.

Good luck
Theo