Re: Exhaust

To: "Dr. T. Y. McDowell" <tym@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 09:52:39 -0800
At 09:11 AM 12/4/99 -0500, you wrote:
>When I was removing the old sustem, the anchors that are spot-welded to
>the floor broke off.  Do I need new ones and where can I get them?

        This failure of the support brackets is very common.  You will need to
reuse your broken parts or fabricate similar replacements.  I would suggest
that you examine the broken areas thoroughly as the typical failure
involves failure of the floor pan that the angle is spot welded to rather
than failures of the spot welds themselves.  If you find that the floor
areas are cracking, you need to not only re-attach the brackets, but add
some additional metal that will spread the load that the bracket carries
farther away from the original attachment area.  If you don't go this extra
step, the newly attached brackets will fail again right next to your welds
in a short amount of time.   I recommend that you inspect all four mount
areas, top and bottom, as this is rarely a singular failure.  Be sure to do
a through job of cleaning down to base metal before attempting to re-attach
the brackets.  Also make SURE that you have removed all flammable
upholstery materials from the weld areas or otherwise protected it from
welding sparks, and maintain a continuos fire watch.  No one wants a
toasted Tiger.

>Also, while my exhaust system came with a package of nuts, bolts,
>washers, etc., it didn't come with any directions.  Are there directions
>or should this be self-explanatory?

        If this kit is not self-explanatory, I suggest you find a local muffler
shop to assist you with the installation.  Be forewarned, muffler guys mig
weld everything together, so if you want to be able to disassemble your
system in your driveway, you'll have to watch them like a hawk or be
prepared to have to grind the welds off or cut the system apart.

Tom