Heat!

To: Tiger Email Network <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heat!
From: Stu Brennan <sbrennan@master.ncounty.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 23:54:52 -0500
'Twas the week  before christmas........NOOOOO, That's been done, and
far better than I could, no doubt.

Mother Nature has somehow spared Southern New England from the much
dreaded salt so far this winter, so the family Christmas party became a
target of opportunity, a destination worthy of a final voyage before
putting the Tiger into hibernation.  Oh, and my teenage daughter had
this shopping expedition in mind, so it would be easier if my wife and I
went in separate directions after leaving the party. Of course, it was
also a chance to show it off to the family, and sort of issue a
challenge to my cousin who restores Model A's to show up in some of his
handiwork some day.

I've had the hard top on all fall, testing a product idea, but have
never had the opportunity to try it out in really cold weather, now that
I've got it sealed up properly.  Four kids will do that to your free
time.

One of the coldest drives I can ever remember was one day when I took
the Tiger to work, one hour on the interstates at 40 degrees with a 160
thermostat, air leaks everywhere, and though I didn't  know it at the
time, a badly clogged heater core.  Today was in the 30's but with
better air sealing, a 180 thermostat, and a cleaned out heater, I was
amazed to find that the car was actually comfortable without a coat on,
or gloves.

So, I guess that the heater may be puny, but it can be made to work if
the core is cleared out, the water temp is high enough, and the air
leaks are under control.  I'm not about to try it a Zero F, but there'd
probably be salt by then, anyway.

Stu