RE: Cleaning Ford Injectors

To: "'twojohnsons@home.com'" <twojohnsons@home.com>,
Subject: RE: Cleaning Ford Injectors
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 11:51:05 -0700
Hi Al,
You can do this at home if you are willing to build the following setup:
Find a used injection fuel pump and regulator similar to what your car uses.
Get a graduated cylinder from a chemistry supply place. Get a 1 gallon jerry
can. Make a stand that holds the injector above the graduated cylinder, then
plumb the fuel pump, regulator, injector, and jerry can together. Use a
spare 12V battery to run the fuel pump and to turn the injector on. Time the
fuel delivery over a short interval with the injector on full (30 seconds or
so), and observe the spray pattern. You can use this same setup to pulse the
injector (use a starter pushbutton or something) to check for a sticking
pintle valve, or to run injector cleaner through the injector.

Have a fire extinguisher handy just in case, don't do this next to the
furnace, don't smoke while you're doing this, etc. etc. etc. Racetech
(http://www.sdsefi.com) has used a setup like this for years to test
injectors, without problems, but basic safety is common sense, and you are
working with a device expressly designed to create a combustible mixture.

Theo Smit
tsmit@home.com
B382002705