Re: Bending door hinges

To: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>, alpines@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Bending door hinges
From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 11:36:11 -0800
Jay, I think if you could remove a little metal from the back of the hinges
with a grinder and make them thinner that might work.  That is, if there's
enough metal to remove.  I don't remember how thick the hinges were.  But
that must have been how the factory did it. How else could they have "set
them at the factory" Like Rick said?  They had to adjust their thickness
right.  How else could they have moved the door slightly to fit?  Well
anyway you could check out your old pieces and see if it would work.

Regards
Armand

>Now here is my latest cry for HELP!!!!!  One of my doors seems to be
>positioned too far back and I can't get the door to close because the latch
>seems to be too tight.  Here's what I know so far.  The paint shop removed
>the original hinges and some broke while they were pushing out the pins to
>repair them.  So, the door now has hinges from another car.  Rick tells me
>that he has never seen two hinges match and figured that they were set at
>the factory.  The gap around the door is even up and down the front and
>back - except very narrow in the back, and about 3/16 in the front.  Rick
>had first suggested that the car may be bending down, causing the doors to
>pinch.  But, the other door works fine, and the gaps are perfectly even.
>Rick suggested pulling off the hinges and squeezing them in a vice.  Any
>one been there, done that?  Shouldn't I heat it first?
>
>Thanks for any thoughts.
>
>Jay

ritchie@mcn.org
Armand & Lorie Ritchie