Re: Bending door hinges

To: BlueGolfer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bending door hinges
From: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 18:36:35 -0800

On the sagging body, that's why I pointed out that the gaps are perfectly
parallel.  I would assume that if the door opening was sagging, it would be
narrower at the top than the bottom.  But, it isn't so on this car.  The
car was stripped to bare metal before this painting.  There was no sign of
any previous body work or rust (of any significance).

I kind of like the idea of the wedge in between the hinges to push the
sheet metal - seems the sheet metal is probably much easier to move 1/8"
than the hinges (an idea my dad proposed previously).

As to the other comment that how would the hinges move the door - the
hinges are not flat, nor do they close all the way up when closed.  They
are sort of in the shape of a "U" with the hinge joint at the bottom center
- so if you compress the two parallel sides together, it pulls the door
forward.

Jay