Re: bunch o' questions - sort of a story

To: Tim Beloney <65_s5v6@prontomail.com>
Subject: Re: bunch o' questions - sort of a story
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 15:18:10 +0000
Tim Beloney wrote:

> So I brought the new Oxford blue V6 home and the 6 month old battery
> is dead.  No problem, we give 'er a jump and she starts right up.
> First dumb question:

There are no dumb questions, only dummies who refuse to ask.

> 1.  On the ignition, "off" is in the center, "on" is obviously right,
> and left is for "accesories"?

Correct.  AND "up" is off and "down" is on with the bat handle Lucas toggle
switches!!!

> 2. When I turn sharp I hear a terrible rubbing sound as if the tires
> are rubbing, but there is plenty of clearance.  Looks like the edges
> of the fan blade has some marks on it - could it be that there is
> flex causing the blade to rub against the cross member even though I
> don't see marks on it?  What else should I look at?

Most after market flex fans are stainless, and almost impossible to trim.  They
are the wrong diameter, initially, for the Tiger.  The sound you are hearing is
the flex fan hitting the steering rack.  There are Volvo fans available in the
Pick-a Part yards that fit fine.  You may not have the correct hub on your water
pump, either, hearing of your story.  The Tiger hub is actually a Ford hub
installed backwards, so the usual 1 inch shoulder is in front, instead of the
rear
of the pump.  This allows the pulley and fan to be closer to the block.  It also
requires a 1 inch center hole in the fan.

> As I sit here the car is
> idling at about 2200 RPM , assuming the tach works properly, and
> after about 20 minutes it overheats and dies.  Water and steam this
> time come out of the overflow tube in a more controlled fashion.
> Before coming in here the temp gauge, assuming IT works correctly,
> was at about 110.
> 3.  What sould the temp be at?  Keep in mind there is an automatic
> electric fan here which I don't think I saw go on.

Is that 110 degrees F or C?  both are marked on the face.  If you are reading
the
centigrade scale, 100 C is the temperature water boils at, at sea level.  Like
212
F.  With the proper antifreeze, and working 14 psi pressure cap, the water won't
boil.  The electric fan question is trickier.  Listening to what the PO did, he
probably went the cheap route on that too, and may have screwed up the
installation as well.  Most do not like the automatic sensor switches,
preferring
to turn it on manually when it gets too hot, as the probe is usually jammed
between the radiator tubes and has a tendency to move and wear the thin radiator
copper tube walls.  These fans are only good for bumper-to-bumper and slow speed
or idle cooling anyway.  After 30 mph the air through the front overwhelms
anything the best fan can do, electric or belt driven.

> 4.  Besides taking back to the mechanic, what should I look at to
> keep it cool?

Back to the mechanic?  Does he know Tigers?  There are about 20 things that
could
be can

> If you read this far thanks!  I am frustrated but not down and out.
> Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Tim

Don't loose heart, Tim,  This is a solvable issue, taken a step at a time, in a
knowledgeable manner.

You'll get lots of advice.  Standby the list.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/