Re: Oh well...

To: MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: Oh well...
From: Jay Peterson <japeterson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:33:21 +0000
MWood24020@aol.com wrote:

> No kidding, I was just about to post to this list commending all participants
>on the great information being shared, the humorous stories and other
>enjoyable posts recently.
> What precipitated this thinking was a pretty childish flame war on the Yamaha
>RZ500 list, which I am also on.
>
> Please, let's not get carried away on this same old thread re:
>Authentication, Rivets and other conspiracy theories.
> It is an important issue and should definitely be understood by owners and
>potential owners. But, please, let's not have the same inflammatory commentary
>which escalated the "discussion" in the first, second or seventeeth previous
>iterations of this topic on the list (not that I have seen any signs of this,
>yet, ...this is a preemptive strike).
>
> Self appointed moderator and Protector of all that is good and right (damn
>constitutions and free speech)-
> Mike Wood
Good comments Mike. I would like to add that this started with a
question from a person asking HOW to tell the difference. There have
been a couple of posts that adressing the question, but it seems there
could be quite a bit more help from those more knowlegeble than myself
aimed at the original post. Things like check for the Vin tag for the
proper serial numbers (B9470001-B9473762, Mk1 B382000001-B382002706 Mk
1a, B38200100-B382100633 MkII), check for a JAL number and armed with
these try and contact Norman Miller and see if he can provide insight
into the particular car. Check  the transmission tunnel for the ridges
running down by the bell housing, check for  panhard rod or mounting
locations, check for the side moldings, etc. As I said, I do not have as
much info as most on the list, but I am sure any help we can give to a
legimate question would be appreciated by the original poster. I am not
saying things that are used by the TAC inspectors should be divulged,
but there are other things that can be used that are more common
knowledge.
My 2c worth.
Jay Peterson