Re: Any Truth to the Rumor?

To: jamesbrt@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Any Truth to the Rumor?
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 13:36:14 EST
In a message dated 01/23/2000 9:18:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jamesbrt@mindspring.com writes:

<<  By the way, the Boss 302 had a very bad tendency to break the
 piston skirts off of the pistons.  Later TRW forged replacement pistons
 had extra re-enforcement to help solve that problem.  I had a Boss 302
 that lost almost all of the skirts.  The piston slap noise was extream. >>

Jim-
You got that right.
The first engine I ever took apart was out of a '69 Boss 302. I was working
(my first real job, age 14) as a parts washer and general gopher at a local
garage owned by  a friend's dad. The older brother bought a Boss for $1600
(cosmetically perfect, but this was 1979!) and noticed a bunch of noise
coming from the engine. We took it apart and found 7 out of 8 pistons were
cracked! Thank goodness nothing had broken off into the lower end...
Mike