Re: hadrtop

To: "Bellis" <Bellis@isoc.net>
Subject: Re: hadrtop
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 14:47:32 -0500
At 12:22 PM 2/13/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>listers: i am looking for a hardtop for my 65 mk 1 (i cannot afford a
>perfect one) does anyone have or know of one for sale at an affordable
>price?
>also will a 289 standard flywheel work on an early 302? i had heard that
>302's were different (i an new to sm block fords)
>thanks in advance
>bob ellis
>b9473215
Bellis,
        The 289 flywheel will bolt up to the 302 OK.  The imbalance weight
of 28 Oz is also correct for pre 1981 302s. Ford Flywheels came in 157 teeth
and 164 teeth.  The main difference is the diameter of the flywheel. The
157 tooth is 13 1/4 od including the ring gear. The 164 tooth wheel is
 14 1/4" outside dia including the ring gear.

If you are using an original Tiger aluminum bell housing and the 157 tooth
289 wheel then you are all set. The starter will mate properly.

If you are using a larger iron bell housing then you probably need the
164 tooth flywheel so the starter will mate with the flywheel.

The 164 tooth will not fit a Tiger II aluminum bell housing.  The
teeth hit the bell housing and the starter does not mate with
the bigger flywheel.

The Lakewood scatter shield came with a break away moon shaped
piece of steel to handle either flywheel.  It was not very precise
and I once lost the teeth on my ring gear do to Lakewood
bell housing slop.

On a 164 tooth flywheel that is 13" outside diameter, measured from
the motor side and excluding the ring gear, there is a raised triangular
area that is about 4 1/4" wide starting 1 1/2" in from the outside dia.
This piece tapers to about 2 3/4" wide 3 1/4" in from the outside dia.
This is a flywheel for the 28 oz imbalance crankshaft.  The 157 tooth
wheel has similar triangler weight area.  If the triangle is much more
than 4 1/4" wide then the flywheel may be for 50 ounce unbalance, post
1981 302 (and maybe 351W). Note that the 28 is actually 28.2 or so oz.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others