Koni version of Traction Masters

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Koni version of Traction Masters
From: "Carl Halgren" <cghalgren@home.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:45:13 -0500
Tigers,

There is a current thread on Traction Masters. I would like to add my two
cents worth for your consideration.

I bought my MK II new in 1967, and soon decided something needed to be done
about traction and wheel hop. My original rear tires lasted about 3,000
miles. I replaced the tires with a set of radials in hope that they would
help. Well, they helped a little, but not much.

A friend at a local garage told me about Koni. They had a special shock
absorber which gets installed horizontally, much like Traction Masters. A
replacement plate which fits under the spring below the axle. It has an
attachment rod mounted several inches below the plate for attaching one end
of the shock. The front spring hanger bolt is replaced with a longer bolt
for attaching the other end of the shock. (Since the shock is mounted just
inboard of the springs, there is no need to worry about clearance for
special wheels.

The big difference between Koni's and Traction Masters is that the Konis
allows the springs to wind up. Once the wheels break loose, the spring
action is dampened, and they are not allowed to return quickly to their
"normal" position. The shock absorbers virtually eliminated wheel hop. When
the wheels break loose, they stay loose without hopping.

Question - does Koni still make this item?
If not, does anybody else make a similar item?
If not, are there enough people interested in the concept to entice someone
to create a similar item? The main problem I can see is that the Koni shocks
have a bulge on the top. I presume the valving is located here. I would
guess that normal shocks will fail quickly if mounted horizontally.

Carl