Re: Koni version of Traction Masters

To: cghalgren@home.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Koni version of Traction Masters
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:23:12 EST
In a message dated 2/18/00 11:47:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
cghalgren@home.com writes:

<< A friend at a local garage told me about Koni. They had a special shock
 absorber which gets installed horizontally, much like Traction Masters. A
 replacement plate which fits under the spring below the axle. It has an
 attachment rod mounted several inches below the plate for attaching one end
 of the shock. The front spring hanger bolt is replaced with a longer bolt
 for attaching the other end of the shock. (Since the shock is mounted just
 inboard of the springs, there is no need to worry about clearance for
 special wheels.

 The big difference between Koni's and Traction Masters is that the Konis
 allows the springs to wind up. Once the wheels break loose, the spring
 action is dampened, and they are not allowed to return quickly to their
 "normal" position. The shock absorbers virtually eliminated wheel hop. When
 the wheels break loose, they stay loose without hopping.

 Question - does Koni still make this item?
 If not, does anybody else make a similar item?
 If not, are there enough people interested in the concept to entice someone
 to create a similar item? The main problem I can see is that the Koni shocks
 have a bulge on the top. I presume the valving is located here. I would
 guess that normal shocks will fail quickly if mounted horizontally.

 Carl

Carl-
The "kicker" shock set up is available from Barry Schonberger, using Konis
which were originally intended for a Fox-chassis Mustang application.
Mike