Holly Red Fuel Pump Failures

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Holly Red Fuel Pump Failures
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 17:18:55 -0500
Folks,
        Holly did it to me again.  I replaced my
Holly Red fuel pump in the middle of last year
because the existing Holly Red pump finally wore
out after 5 years and started leaking.  The new pump
lasted about 6 months ( and I was out of town a lot
during this period). I just stopped rumming even though
it was drawing current.  Turns out that one of the
motor magnets came loose from the case and locked up
the armature.  Holly's are guarenteeded for only 90
days so I could not get warrenty replacement.  I took the
case from the old pump ( with good magnets) and rebuilt
the 6 month old pump.  This worked for a few weeks and then
the pump stopped again ( on the road of course).
        Bought a new Holly Red  at end of January.
Yesterday on the way to work it failed and then restarted.
When I started to go home in the evening, the pump started
and them quit completely.  Attempted to trouble shoot with
almost no tools and finally determined that the wires were
good, but the pump simply was not turning.  Today I took
the proper tools and a meter and found that the pump
leads are open somewhere inside the pump.  Replaced the new
pump with the flaky older pump and made it home.
Of course Auto Pro Racing ( the source of the pumps) was
closed for speed week& Daytona 500.  Will not open again until
next Tuesday.  At least the latest pump is still under the
90 day warrenty.  I wonder what happened to the quality
that I once attached to the Holly name?

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others