inquiry 022200b

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 022200b
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 07:42:12 -0600
Scott van every wrote:
>My thought was that Dale must know what he is
>doing since he races at tremendous speeds using
>the same equipment that he bolted on to my car.
>Also, using his rear spring, you don't need traction
>masters anymore.

        ???!!!??? Jeez, I've just spent major pesos on, among many other
things, _both_ a pair of Dale A's springs and a set of bolt-on TM's. Well, I
haven't really hit the loud pedal yet, so I don't know about traction; but
if I hadn't needed the expense or complication of the TM's, I'd like not to
have bothered! See my message series "Underneath" for the tiresome details.
:^)
        Yesterday, it warmed up around here just enough for a spin around
the block (eh, perhaps 5 miles). When backing into my garage, I noticed a
bit of deep rattling from the rear of the car. I haven't been under the car
yet, so I don't know what is causing it. The LSD unit chattering? The TM's?
BTW, I like Steve Laifman's hint on wrapping the clamps in rubber; wish I'd
done that. I just _hate_ any rattles under the car, I'm paranoid enough to
figure that something's about to fall off the car.

        A month or so back I posted about the "mystery car" photo contest on
the January 2000 "Classic and Sportscar", seeing what looked like late
1960's Alpine hubcaps and wondering if  it were some obscure Rootesmobile.
Well, the March issue just arrived with the answer, which is "not quite". It
was the Imp-based TVR Tina, but photographed from the rear, so I didn't
recognize it; the hubcaps were off a Rapier, from 1968-on the same body as
an Alpine fastback, so I was close. Shame on me for not catching it, and
shame on C&S for using the same car, pictured at the same show but from a
slightly different angle, as their "mystery car" in their December 1994
issue! Perhaps we need to give them a few hints on other Rootes 'rarities'
they could feature in their magazine.

        About that post on the film "The Italian Job" --  one cannot omit,
among the list of ruined cars, the Miura wasted at the end of the opening
titles. Ugh! No Sunbeams at all in the movie, but there's an Imp in one of
the traffic-jam scenes. BTW, this is one movie one can usually _purchase_
for under $10.

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333