Water pump woes

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Water pump woes
From: Mario E Jorquera <suntiger8@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 22:28:37 +0000
Hi guys

Well, after months of squealing, my waterpump finally gave out and
sprayed coolant all over the engine compartment, melting large chunks of
paint in the process!  I have a couple of questions for you Tiger
veterans out there:

1)  Is it necessary/adviseable to remove the radiator from the car to
change the water pump?  My original workshop manual says this must be
done, whyle my newer book does not.

2)  I ordered a new Tiger 1 waterpump from Sunbeam Specialties, and, lo
and behold, I received a cast iron piece.  The instructions seem to
indicate that it will fit if I use the special screws provided, but I
thought cast iron pumps had different dimensions.  What do you guys
think?

3)  The cast iron pump is ugly and not "original"  (not that I obsess
over that...my car is far from a concours candidate!).  Is there a shop
around that can fix old pumps so that they can be reused?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Mario
B9471239
Maryland

http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.