Re: Rover, Rover

To: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Rover, Rover
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:04:52 -0500
At 10:51 AM 3/16/2000 +0000, Steve Laifman wrote:
>BMW just announced it was selling their entire acquisition of Rover.

Wrong.  BMW has indicated they have PAID an English firm to take the Rover
car line off their hands.  BMW will retain the much larger, and strongly
profitable, Land Rover division.  No details, or damned few, as of yet.

See http://www.msnbc.com/news/382429.asp for details.

My girl-friend is a branch accountant at a Rover dealership in the UK, and
they didn't even tell the hired help today.  She heard about it on the
radio on the way home.

I guess Land Rover gets to keep the nifty Viking ship with the red sails
(but, seemingly, damned few "sales"!).  As the Viking ship badge hasn't
been used on Land Rovers for at least forty years, this is a trifle
superfluous, but I'd hate to see that logo die -- I learned to drive in a
2000TC, in the Bay area, back in the summer of love, "when it was a joy to
be alive and to be young was very heaven".

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!