inquiry 031700b

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 031700b
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 06:50:41 -0600
Steve Laifman wrote:
>BMW just announced it was selling their entire
>acquisition of Rover.

        Steve, I thought you we pulling our collective leg -- you've been
known to do that -- until Marc backed you up on this, and included the web
address for the article.

>The workers and country frothed at the mouth
>when Rover was sold to a German firm, and now
>they are frothing because it is selling it to an English firm.

        I guess if the company's name is Alchemy, maybe they'll _need_ to be
able to turn lead to gold, having read how much $$$ Rover has been losing.

>The new company will have a "new " name, the MG
>Car Company.  Somehow that sounds familiar. Can a
>gas turbine MG-TC be far behind?

        Far, far behind; as in dead on the side of the road. And the
prospect of parts falling of a gas turbine is a daunting one. :^) Seriously,
The resurrection of marques with real history, like MG, Triumph, Riley,
etc., has more appeal than driving around in an Acura ( whatever the heck
_that_ means) or a Daewoo, eh?

>Perhaps they will call the new company Rootes, and
>make a new model Bentley called the Sunbeam Tiger?

        I'd rather that Peugeot, if they're still the owner of the Rootes
name(s), use them. Hey, didn't I read that Peugeot is suggesting a return to
the US market? I betcha that Sunbeam has about as much brand recognition,
and less negative connotations, than Peugeot. Especially if the Sunbeam name
is again reserved for the more sporting cars in the line-up; no 4-door
"sports sedans" or sport-utes. I _guess_ that they still have that little
hot-hatch that was the basis for their "Killer B" rally car (205gti?), or
it's successor. That might make a nice New Rapier, what? I dunno about
Humber, at least for the US market; perhaps in the UK it might be a
different matter.
        Tiger? Gee, with about every third mews lock-up in the UK making a
sports car with a Ford V8 -- or a Rover one (!) -- the easy way about would
be to badge-engineer one of those and distribute it here. Somebody might
have to hire Shelby to convince the Gummint that they're "continuation cars"
to get past the safety regs and all, though.
        BTW, anyone heard any news on the new Jensen or Trident projects?

        Retro lives!

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333