Re: voltage stabilizer

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: voltage stabilizer
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:07:27 +0000
Bob Palmer wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I think Paul is right, the output of the voltage regulator for the
> instruments should be 10V. The generator/alternator voltage regulator
> should run at around 14.3V, but depending on engine speed and current load,
> it could drop below that; e.g., 13.6 or lower. The reason for using 10V for
> the instruments is to ensure that under all operating conditions, you get a
> constant 10V for accurate gauge readings.
>
> Bob

Bob,

Isn't that exactly what I said?  Even to using the same 13.6 volts you cite, and
the large variation making it unusable as an instrument reference.

Quote:

Steve Laifman wrote:
"Paul J. Burr" wrote:

> Terry: you need a 10 volt output for the temp and fuel gauge. I guess
> dividing by 12 was to hard for the gauge engineers to
> figure out!

Paul,

Actually it's more like 13.6 volts,  and varies considerably during charge and
regulator, and that's why it's set  below the fluctuating driving voltage.

It is regulated for accuracy (such as it may be), and it "stabilizes" the
driving
force for the gauge system.  Our good friends T. Smit and C. Bennett have each
designed solid state replacement devices, for those that demand the very best.

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/