Re: engine start-up advice

To: Curtis Fisher <Curtis.Fisher@trw.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine start-up advice
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 08:28:24 -0800
Curtis,

I wouldn't be surprised if there is more myth than truth to this recipe,
but the concern is mainly the cam. When you build a motor, the cam lobes
are coated with some good lubricant that will stay put until you fire it
up. Once you do fire it up, you want to keep it running so as to keep it
well lubricated for the "break-in" period. It's hard to believe that
turning it off for a few minutes would allow enough oil to run off the cam
to make any difference, but why take a chance? I'm not sure what the basis
for the 1,500 to 2,000 rpm recommendation is either, but it does seem
reasonable that running too slow would allow the very high cam pressures to
break through the protective oil film and too fast would generate too much
friction and heat, so there probably is an optimum. But whether it's 1,000,
2,000, or 3,000 rpm I wouldn't know. I personally don't think you have much
to worry about as long as you don't do anything really extreme, and even
the pre-oiling I suggested may not be all that necessary.

We'll look forward to hearing how the reverse flow system works. Should
keep the heads cooler I understand.

Good luck today!

Bob