Re: steering wheel replacement

To: tigers@autox.team.net, BParfitt@glaciernw.com
Subject: Re: steering wheel replacement
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:02:27 EST
Bill,
    You horn problems are typical: they have road dirt and 30+ year old bugs
in them...not Lucas bugs!  They can be disassembled and cleaned, and they
usually work fine afterwards unless the field coil has opened.  I am trying
to remember the exact design of the stock horns, but on some (I think earlier
Lucas units), if you "honk" them as they are (not working) and they do not
oscillate, they can draw too much current and cook themselves.  If you remove
them and don't want to disassemble them, I can do that...again, they usually
work after they are cleaned.
    Would you like a copy of a tech-tip I wrote for the Club about my
Steering Column rebuilds a couple years back?  I believe it is in MS Word.  I
was the guy (not attending) that gave away the column rebuild at the SUNI
banquet.
Jim Leach   PTC  Seattle