Re: inquiry 032300f

To: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Subject: Re: inquiry 032300f
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:05:36 +0000
"Wright, Larry" wrote:

>         Hey, Tiger folk!
>         Gee, the Tiger was "the fastest sports car for $3499" or whatever
> the ads said; but I'll bet few of them left the dealer for that cost (just
> like cars today)
>         I wonder what the Garage Queen originally cost? Here's what was on
> the car when _I_ bought it; assuming that all were installed by the dealer
> when new, I am curious what the total "bill" would have been:

Well, I decided it wasn't worth letting a friend wait.  Since I was buying
foreign
sports cars for 14 years before the Tiger. I can pretty well tell you what the
market was like, at least here in California.  With very few exceptions, both
domestic and imported cars rarely sold for 'list' price' (there were no window
stickers, but Kelly Car was around).

Each dealer negotiated with the prospect to get the most he could, and vice
versa.  The usual settlement, removing any trade-in bias, was that the car was
delivered for LESS than the 'retail price'.  Unless the buyer was a woman.  As
an
example, I got about $200 off the price of my '52 MG-TD, which was pretty good,
considering the cost was $1750.  My '54 XK-120M was listed at $3450, after the
Pound dropped, and I picked it up for $3175 and got a radio.  My '59 Porsche 356
was listed at $3995, and I special ordered black with red interior and got it
for
$3750, from Jack MacAfee.   The 300 SL was selling for $6000, and there was a
waiting list with full price deposits, so that one was sold for list, and more
if
you really wanted it delivered.  The Prowler is about $32,000 list, but the
dealer
will sell you one for about $52,000 - if he likes you.

> LAT2   Engine Dress-Up Kit ($69.00 per TBON)

As of Sept. 1, 1966 this item was offered to the Dealer at $66, with a suggested
List Price of $86, less installation - but it did include the valve cover
gaskets.
TBON was probably right on, depending on when, and which price.

> LAT5   Traction Bars

In the same catalog, these were $29.30 Dealer cost, and $40 Suggested List,
uninstalled.  They are currently selling at about  $125 from Traction Master, in
L.A.

> LAT69  Talbot "Racing" mirrors

The Talbot mirrors were offered in both the "Junior", about 3 inch mirror, and
the
"Senior", about  4 inch mirror, with the same LAT number and price. Surprisingly
this very well made mirror was Dealer net of $1.50, and suggested List of $3.95.
A copy was offered in England, by Rootes.  A Good repro goes for about $100,
new,
today.   There was no picture in this particular catalog, so for all I know, it
was a Lucas stem type mirror.

The original TIGER oil pan (repro on e-bay) was $66.60, net, and $86.00 list.

No info on Rootes Options.

The COMPLETE catalog will be on our new web site, soon to be released.

--
Steve