inquiry 032800b

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 032800b
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:01:23 -0600
Jonathan Evans wrote:
>Just noticed on the email about the Tiger for sale
>on eBay that it has the  metal (?) body color flaps that
>hide the soft top when it is down.  Was this a feature
>of the earlier MK1's??? (SNIP) I think those body colored
>panels look fantastic, so smooth and precise.

        Oh, yessss. An integral part of Kenneth Howe's original design. I
prefer the metal doors on my MK1 to the soft vinyl "boot" of the later cars,
but OTOH, I rarely put my top up, so the ease-of-use of the MK1A/MK2 boot is
lost on me. BTW, these metal doors are potential noise-makers, and are hard
to align so they fit properly. There are pluses and minuses to both designs,
IMHO.

>Where do they go when the soft top is up??

        After the top is up, they can be swung back into their original
position. However, if one drives with the seat all the way back, the
seatback must be flipped forward to allow opening the metal doors; so, if I
only have the top up while parked, I tend to leave the seatback flipped
forward and the metal doors "open" to speed dropping the top when I next
drive the car.

>I always thought the tiger in the movie "Commando"
>(with Arnold S.) was a fake because it had the metal covers
>for the soft top.  Come on, I know you all have seen this
>movie many times!  I love it when he catches that 911.
>Can't seem to remember which Bond film had the tiger either,
>but I think it was also the

        The "Commando" Sunbeam was an Alpine, as was the car in the Bond
film "Dr. No"; it seems Tiger appearances in the movies were kinda rare. One
of the Alpine websites, I recall, had a list of films featuring Sunbeams,
but I don't remember which one.

Jay Laifman wrote:
>>Larry wrote:
>> I hope it has just sloppy refueling on my part,
>>or it means my gas cap is leaking.
>No.  What it means is that one of the guys at the shop had
>your car going through turns at such G forces that the gas
>cap had no choice but to let some by.

        It wouldn't surprise me!!!! :^) They had to move the car from one
rack to another early in the project, right after they removed the exhaust.
When I next stopped by to visit the GQ, the comment was made that it sounded
rather "healthy" for a 260.

Jim Morrison wrote:
>I am looking into 347 stroker motors to put in my Tiger.

        And how many carbs will _that_ take, Jim? :^)

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic District
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333