Re: inquiry 041400a

To: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Subject: Re: inquiry 041400a
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 12:37:27 -0400
At 06:38 AM 4/14/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>       BTW, I'm curious who, if anyone, has comprehensive info on
>when/where/who raced Tigers back in the 1960's. A few night ago, I was
>looking at a detailed local map (in the Washington DC region we have an
>equivalent of those great Thomas maps I saw/used in San Diego last year),
>and noticed that the site _and_ pavement of the old Marlboro Speedway is
>still shown; it's about 8 miles from my house. I was too young to have gone
>there when it was open, but a co-worker of mine that did said that a couple
>of years back he nosed around there, saw the grandstands, etc, until chased
>off the property. I get the impression from the few references I've seen
>that it was once a well-known course on the sport-car racing circuit. Anyone
>know of Tiger presence there? I smell a photo opportunity...
>       From the little map I printed off the 'Net yesterday, it appears to
>be one _tight_ course, with two 180-degree hairpins too allow Tigers to show
>off their Ackermann geometry.
>
>Lawrence R. Wright,

Larry,
        There was at least one Tiger II there, mine. I was there to watch
the race.  There was a Howmet Turbine car that was very interesting.  There was
also a good bump in the track that for the first 2-3 laps most cars would
become airborne.  The racers learned and started taking another line
over the bump.  I watched a Spitfire with interest as every time it went by
fuel came out of its closed filler.  Sort of like my Tiger with a full tank.
        Several years later after the place closed I returned for an
autocross race at Marlboro. Burned a lot of rubber ( stock Tiger II at the
time) but had poor times as usual. I was living in Virgenia at the time.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others