Re: Hooter's

To: "Daniel S. Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Hooter's
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 13:21:22 -0400
At 11:18 PM 4/15/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Listers,
>
>    Can anyone tell me if the hooter horns can be pulled apart and rebuilt?
>I have my original  horns and they need to be cleaned up inside and out. It
>looks like there are two halves held together by rivets.  If anyone has done
>this job before, I'd sure appreciate if you would contact me. Thanks to any
>
>Dan Eiland

Dan,
        I did that.  carefully ground the brad off the rivets and
drove the old rivets out with a thin punch.
        The usual problem I found was massive rust inside the horns.
Apparently in the normal mounting position water gets forced in and
follows the "snail" until the water is stuck in the working parts.
I dissassembled the whole thing and cleaned the rust off with a
wire brush on my bench grinder. Cleaned the points too and put it
together ( I think with 4-40 bolts and nuts)  There is a screw
adjustment that sticks through the side.  This screw adjusts the
sound.  Use temporary wiring to test/adjust the rebuilt horn on your
battery.  Mount the horn with the bell opening pointing down to keep
most of the water out.  There is a tiny drain hole in the horn,
but it doesn't help once the rust starts and cloggs it up.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others