water wetter

To: "Tiger's" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: water wetter
From: Craig Wright <craig@productdesigngroup.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:24:28 -0700
There is a reasonable discussion of Water wetter on the Red Line web
site at:
http://www.redlineoil.com/prod_frameset.htm

It was written by marketeers with input from engineering so you have to
take it with a grain of salt (but don't put the salt in your engine). I
verified the numbers and constants that they used as well as their
testing approach and logic, and it seems valid. Their claims are mainly
based on the differences between water and 50/50 glycol mixture, which
is undeniably better for cooling. The water wetter treats the water with
lubricants and rust inhibitors that are required for reliability. BUT,
you do have to change the entire system every 12 months or so.

I changed from 50/50 to water and realized a difference. With 50/50 the
car would run about 225 on the track but would still boil over with a 16
lb cap due to localized boiling, I believe. By going to water the temp
went done to 200-210 and no boil over, even after pulling into the pit.
I still had some trouble at slower (60-90 mph tracks) until I closed off
all air leaks around the radiator such that all of the air entering the
nose now goes through the radiator. Last week at Willow Springs (fast
track) it was running 190 with an outside air temp of 90.

The bottom line is, water works.

Craig Wright