Re: valve float

To: "Chris Vaught" <CVaught@Hawaii.rr.com>, <TIGEROOTES@aol.com>
Subject: Re: valve float
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 18:30:09 -0700
Chris,

How should I interpret "lag"? I'm going to assume that means a rather
abrupt and permanent loss of power above 5,000 rpm. It could either be
valve float or poor ignition, to name my most likely suspects. What do you
have your plugs gapped at? Also, are you using a ballast resistor? If it's
poor spark, then either closing the spark plug gaps and/or shorting out the
ballast resistor should make a difference. What do you know about the valve
springs in your engine? They should have a seat force of 100-150 lbs. I
don't know of an easy way to check it accurately, but maybe you could
figure out something. It is possible to change springs without removing the
heads, but don't put in double or triple springs without doing the proper
machining of the spring seats.

One other off-the-wall thought. Do you have a fuel filter between the pump
and fuel tank? This will cause a problem like you describe with most pumps.
They don't like to have any restriction on the inlet side.

Hope maybe this helps.

Bob