Re: Hardtop

To: "Daniel S. Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Hardtop
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 07:59:37 -0700
"Daniel S. Eiland" wrote:

> - - - and the rubber
> pad at the side latch on both sides doesn't even come close to touching the
> car. Rick sent me a different type hardtop to body seal so I am using one I
> had before I started the hardtop project. The one rick sent looks like a
> crescent moon shape and the one I am currently using looks like a round
> hollow sponge.

Dan,

You apparently have the latter model hard top, which uses a single piece rear
seal, much like a door seal, instead of a 3 piece wide, flat one. The corner
pieces are also very different. I believe he may have this later model bottom
seal available, however the corners may have to be made from cut down older
designs. IMHO the new seal is significantly better (once the top fits the car)
and does significantly less damage to the paint as the top moves.

> It looks like the roof is sitting too high, thereby keeping
> everything from lining up. The roof sits up so high that the seal above the
> side windows doesn't touch the windows.

You might just examine the rubber seals under the hinges and under the hard top
rear pin plates, to assure they are the correct thickness and alignment. Can't
speak from experience here, as the only fit problem I had was too close a fit
on the right side top to metal top cover surface.

Looking forward to any List experience on the rest.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/