RE: too hot

To: "Chris Vaught" <CVaught@Hawaii.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: too hot
From: "Allan Connell, Jr." <alcon@home.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 07:36:08 -0700
Chris,

It is always a good idea to have a temperature probe to help calibrate your
gauge and sending unit so you can diagnose possible defective sender or
gauge.  I would suggest that you make friends with a good radiator shop and
ask them if you can't get the car hot and then bring it in to them and let
them probe the car.  Most of the better shops (even some smaller normal
garages,) have a hand-held gun like device they can point to various spots
on the car and get readings for hot spots.

When I re-did my cooling system, I found that the sender was the incorrect
unit to interface with the gauge, which threw my reading off slightly.  As I
recall, Stu Brennan has a post on the STOA or Mark Olsen's website that
gives you the correct ohm and volt readings from the sending unit to
diagnose it.  This is an excellent resource to start with.

Keep in mind also the Tiger mantra: "Chances are if it ain't puk'in water,
t'ain't over-heat'in"

Regards from Sandyeggo,

Allan
B9472373