Re: cooling from archives

To: "Chris Vaught" <CVaught@Hawaii.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cooling from archives
From: derekw@zamnet.zm (Derek White)
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 09:23:18 +0200 (ZMT)
Hi Chris,

I am months away from firing up so can't help you too much. My crank is
still in Zimbabwe being balanced and they're killing honkies down there so
I'm going to have to wait until after the elections or civil war (not sure
which.)

What I did find out is that you have to have an expansion tank with a cross
flow radiator. You could perhaps find a smaller one though. The radiator I
got from Performance Bodies (www.performancebodies.com) is a 19" x 22" Chevy
one from Griffin, and they also sell Howe aluminium radiators for similar
prices.

I have had to straighten edges/panelbeat a few of the body plates in front
of the radiator to get it to fit. I have also had to remove and close up the
radiator's filler neck, move/redirect the bottom right inlet nipple to clear
the steering rack, and also remove the bottom support plate on the radiator
and move it up slightly. If you have someone who can weld aluminium, it will
save you some $ as the radiator only cost about $170. It is about as big as
you could fit in the Tiger and should help cooling. You'll have to find/make
a shroud although I will try with only a big 14 inch, 2500cfm electric fan
on the front to start with.

Good luck! derek

At 10:23 AM 5/7/00 -0700, Chris Vaught wrote:
>Derek
>Did you get this radiator to work? if so how did you do it. i have been
>wanting to remove my filler tank and use that opening for a cold air intake.
>i also want an aluminum radiator but the cheapest i found is around $500 and
>it is on back order. who knows when i will get it. i need one NOW! The $180
>for this rad looks great when i can get it in a week.
>Thanks
>chris in hawaii
>
>Subject: filler neck onto thermostat housing
>
>Hi all,
>
>I just got my very nice looking 19" x 22" Griffin aluminum radiator (from
>Performance bodies for $170) and it will just fit between the cross-member
>and the bonnet if I move the radiator's bottom support up to the first tubes
>and remove the filler neck. Any ideas, suggestions, comments about putting
>the filler neck on the thermostat housing?
>
>I haven't got a header tank and was wondering if I really need one if I put
>the filler neck up on the thermostat housing (will that be high enough?) If
>I use this set up, any suggestions for eliminating airlocks?
>
>Thanks alot! Derek
>
>Derek White
>Managing Director
>Zikomo Brewing Company