Timing vs Heating

To: "'CVaught@Hawaii.rr.com'" <CVaught@Hawaii.rr.com>
Subject: Timing vs Heating
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 09:46:35 -0500
Chris,
The initial timing will not affect the engine temperature in any serious
way. So 6 or 12 is irrelevant....however the total timing if excessive WILL
generate excessive heat. I am not an expert on Ford engines but I would
expect that anything over 36 degrees total timing will lead to increased
operating temperature. Bob recommended 34.5 degrees Total and I run 36 total
with no adverse cooling issues. I hop that answers your question. As a
recommendation run the 12 (16 if the total timing does not get too high ie:
>36 degrees) initial as your throttle response will be waaaay better.
Regards,
Tim Ronak