Re: Fuel Tank

To: Laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 19:07:50 -0400
Steve,
        There has to be something wrong.  I still have a near full tank
and the gauge goes to zero any time I go forward.  When I brake it
returns to full reading.  The gauge swings full scale in less than
one second.  I just read the label, the sender is a Central Products Inc.
0 to 60 ohm range.  I am going to hook up a digital volt meter to the
power and ground of the sender to be sure the voltage is stable and then
connect to the sending wire and ground for stable/ erratic output.
The wiring should be good as I used Twinx for power and sender wire
with the shield as the ground.  Used non-Lucus bullet connectors and
clamped the Twinx so It doesn't move.  Will also search the Internet for
Central Products Inc.
        The saddle tanks were completely removed so I just have the
20 gallon fuel cell.
        The tank is susposed to have foam in it.  I have not opened
it up to look.  There are 30 to 40 bolts holding the outlet plate.
The tank came packed in scraps of fuel cell foam.  The foam is very
open celled.  It does have a bladder as I could see it through the
drain holes in the bottom corners of the tig welded aluminum case.

At 08:06 AM 5/9/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>Strange. I thought those fuel cells had some kind of bladder AND foam
>inside to reduce sloshing.
>
>The sender on my Fiero engined special is stock Pontiac. It fits in a
>large, cam-lock port and extends into the tank, with the fuel pump as a
>single unit. The float rides the shaft of this vertical cylinder.
>
>I have used totally electronic fuel level sensing elements in our
>rockets, but they really have a difficult time distinguishing the vapors
>under pressure from the liquid itself, and are accurate to only 6
>inches. On a 100" diameter vessel, that's a lot of fuel, but its 800
>inches tall, so it's in the "noise" with the 1,000 gallons of reserve we
>carry, anyway.
>
>Besides, with THREE gas tanks, totaling what, 32 gallons?,  and your
>"run out and switch" over plan, I wouldn't think accuracy was all that
>important.
>
>--
>Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others