Re: Puke Bottle and Air Dams

To: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Puke Bottle and Air Dams
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:54:08 -0400
Larry,
        For the bottle, try looking at shampoo bottles.

I previously had an air dam on my Tiger and the Tiger ran 15
degrees cooler and also did not "float" at 130+.  I went to
a plastic supply/ sign maker and got a white 1/4" thick fairly flexable
white plastic.  Do not know the type of plastic.  I temporally removed
the front bumper and wrapped the plastic around the front and
the sides back to my wheel well trim.  Bolted the plastic on
every 2 inches with 10-32 SS bolts and holes drilled around the
lip behind the bumper.  Partly cut out two ovals about a foot long and
4 or 5 inches high. Did not cut the bottom of the oval.  Bent that
back toward the oil cooler and secured with an aluminum strip and
a couple of bolts.  Trimmed the lower lip of the air dam to be 3
inches from the ground. Had to buy special treating spray at $15
a can to prime the plastic so it would accept flat black paint.
Also added trim ( salvaged from the side of an MGB) as a strip
3" up from the lower edge.  Added a 1/8" X 1" aluminum strip
inside the plastic to mount the trim to.  Used spring loaded trim
bolts and SS nuts to secure the trim.  After 6 years the plastic started
cracking around the upper bolt holes and I removed it completely.
Bitch to get a jack under the front cross member with the dam
there.

At 08:00 PM 5/11/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Group.  I have been looking for a overflow or puke bottle for the
>reservoir, but have had no luck.  Auto Zone, Pep Boys, and Track have
>bottles, but they are too big.
>
>I want to place it to the left of the radiator, or just opposite of the
>windshield bottle.
>
>Has anyone come up with an air dam for the front of the car yet.  There
>was some conversation some while back, but nothing that I have in my
>files.
>
>I am looking for an air dam to stop the flow of the hot air when the car
>is stopped, i.e. through the radiator, under the front of the car, and
>back through the radiator.  I would also like to stop the lift at higher
>speeds, that seems to be prevalent with the Tiger.
>
>I am looking for something that will have a flex surface to take car of
>low objects.
>
>Look forward to hearing of your solutions.
>
>Thanks
>
>Larry

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others