RE: windscreen

To: "'Daniel S. Eiland'" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Subject: RE: windscreen
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 12:30:44 -0500
Dan,
The top to frame alignment is an issue for me as well and what I found is
that it is not easy to get the windshield frame to stay firmly in place. I
used urethane in the cavity of the windshield frame and may not have let it
cure sufficiently as it has relaxed backwards again. I may need to remove
and redo it. As for the gap at the back underside of the frame near the vent
window mine was about ¼ - 3/8 " and I had trouble getting the roof to align
as well although I attribute that to the hard top. One thing I did note on
setting up the convertible top clamshells to the windshield frame is that
the little wedges provide the best fitment when oriented so that the widest
part of the wedge is facing down. I do not have the hard top on currently
and after installing new seals on the hard top probably will be reluctant to
try again as the new seals or not identical to the old. The result is that
the top sits FAR to high in the rear to the point that it is difficult to
get the top pins into the trunk hinges. The side cushions are also too thick
at the latch area and needed "clearancing with a high speed cutoff wheel so
that they could sit flat on the side plates. The culprit seems to be the
long push-in rubber being too thick at the base as it is almost ½" thick
compared to the "original" at under ¼" thick. My roof seems to line up
pretty well but with the tension of the convertible top it is now pulling
the windshield frame back again tightening up the vent gap at the top.
Regards,
Tim