Re: It started as a slight miss

To: larry rominger <larrydr1@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: It started as a slight miss
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 08:56:59 -0700
Larry,

You asked about the “wicks” that ride the distributor lobes
and operate the points.

You apparently had some problems with a dual point
distributor, with one breaking.

My ‘experience’ started with one of the first Capacitive
Discharge systems to be sold. In the mid 60’s I bought a Delta
capacitive discharge electronic ignition to stop a plug
fouling problem endemic to Porsche 911S. I could get about
1,000 miles on a set of plugs, and wasn't all that interested
in paying 10 times normal costs for a platinum point plug. The
system really helped, and the NGK plugs would run 6,000-10,000
miles. Significant improvement. The ‘side’ benefit of this
system, and the ones sold today, is the reduction of current
thru the points. This was touted as eliminating point pitting,
with low current, and really extending point life.

Well, the ignition system designers were just too smart.
Bosch, and the others, knew that as points wore, the plug gap
changes, and dwell would get out of spec. So, they brilliantly
selected a material for the point cam follower that would wear
at the same rate that the points vaporized, and keep the dwell
constant.

Now that the points weren't wearing, the follower still was,
and it needed replacement at about the same time as normal.

I recommend a change to a Pertronics electronic point system.
You can use your stock, or hotter coil, and get accurate
dwell, with zero change in use, and no problems with adjusting
dual points, or point/follower wear.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/