Re: Cooling system

To: bob melusky <bmelusky@netscape.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling system
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:00:46 -0700
Bob,

It's nice hear that all your hard work and $$$ had such a good result.
Without corroboration, however, I would sooner believe the thermostat than
the Tiger's temperature gauge, if that's what you're reading. My experience
has been that thermostats are pretty well calibrated. On the other hand,
there's nothing wrong in my book with running a 195 thermostat. BTW, what
coolant mixture are you using - pure water ? Finally, what do you have in
mind regarding the bypass? It is very important that the by pass not be
restricted as this is the only way that water can circulate while the
thermostat is closed. In fact, the thermostat is essentially closed all the
time it is running at the regulated temperature. In order to avoid hot
spots in the engine, there needs to be good circulation through the engine.
This is the function of the bypass. Some racers replace the thermostat with
a restrictor and also block the bypass. This is OK because there is good
flow all the time through the whole system with a fixed restrictor hole.

Bob