Re: Wire gauge

To: Hal436@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wire gauge
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:10:10 -0700
Hal436@aol.com wrote:

>  I mentioned the fact that my
> panel lights were not too bright and he  mentioned that that was caused by
> the fact that Sunbeam cars were not grounded too well.  He said that he
> overcame this problem by double grounding all of the panel gauges.
>
> Question:  I want to test this and would like to know if lamp wire (16/18
> gauge)  will be adequate for the test ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Hal Jean

Hal,

He does have a good point, and age does not help grounding, but you do not have
to do all that much work. The wire gauge is perfectly satisfactory for carrying
the currents required, and need not be changed.  "Double" grounding, depending
upon what he means, is not required.  What is required is that the grounding
daisy chain be thoroughly examined and repaired, as necessary.  First, the
light power input wires should be examined to assure no breaks in insulation,
or wires, and clean contacts at termination points.  Junctions should be secure
and insulated.  The daisy chain ground should be examined as well.  Again, all
contacts should be clean and all grounds examined for conductivity.  Paint,
rust and other corrosion can have built up.

A good ohm-meter will determine adequate grounding contact.

This is true of your exterior lights as well, both tail, head, and front are
grounded to the frame by sometimes corroded or painted junctions.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/