Re: Series V to Series IV Front Fender Replacement

To: "Matthew P Bouchelle" <mbouchel@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Series V to Series IV Front Fender Replacement
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 01:49:05 -0700
Matt,
     I don't understand how John had to worry about square corners if the
fenders were clipped at the top of the wheel weels, but maybe I'm not
visualizing correctly.  If it's any help, my car (Mk. 1) was clipped (S. V)
in a manner seemingly similar to John's (outer fenders clipped at top of
wheel wells, inners just forward of the brake junction mounting hole and
frame horns saved).  Visual lines are right, which means you can pretty much
assume the basic fender is unchanged.  But if you are replacing just a right
fender rather than clipping, your question is obviously about the connection
points.  The welded matings (valance/fender and long inner/outer fender
interface) almost have to be the same, but the leaded (on a Mk. 1)
connections (fender/scuttle and fender/front crossbar) might (or might not)
be slightly different.  One of Chrysler's cost saving measures was
supposedly the elimination of lots of leading, thus square corners.  This
might result in slightly different sheet metal at the formerly leaded
points.  My first car is a Mk.1A, with all the lead melted off it.  I'll go
look at it (gotta get the spider fighter gear out) if that will help.
     Anyone know if I'm off base on this?

Chris Hill