Re: Rear End Help

To: "Clifford A. Costa" <csquared@idsi.net>
Subject: Re: Rear End Help
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:46:56 -0700
Clifford,

Unlike the stock differential, the Dana type has a one piece
"button" with a smaller diameter rod out the back.  There are
two, one on each axle end.  The small diameter rod fits
through a hole in the end of the splined receptacle for the
axle and contacts it's mate on the other side, while the
larger end rides against the inner end of the axle.  I believe
that the purpose of these buttons is to control movement of
the axles shafts so they float properly. If one end moves in,
it pushes the other out, I think.

Since I am missing mine, I can not measure them for you, but
would appreciate the same answer you seek.

Until your question I was not aware of any variations, which
doesn't mean much.  Thanks for the tip, and I look forward to
the same answer.  My unit is from a Jaguar, so it has the
proper carrier holes for the stock ring gear.  The English
gear has a larger threads than the US version.  Either can fit
either, with a precision drilling of the carrier hole in the
US DANA, or a stepped bolt in the English version, depending
upon which rear end gears you use.  The "buttons", I am told,
are the same on both sides.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/