Re: Rear End Help

To: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Rear End Help
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 22:19:37 -0700
At 03:46 PM 7/12/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Clifford,
>
>Unlike the stock differential, the Dana type has a one piece
>"button" with a smaller diameter rod out the back.  There are
>two, one on each axle end.  The small diameter rod fits
>through a hole in the end of the splined receptacle for the
>axle and contacts it's mate on the other side, while the
>larger end rides against the inner end of the axle.  I believe
>that the purpose of these buttons is to control movement of
>the axles shafts so they float properly. If one end moves in,
>it pushes the other out, I think.
>
>Since I am missing mine, I can not measure them for you, but
>would appreciate the same answer you seek.
>
>Until your question I was not aware of any variations, which
>doesn't mean much.  Thanks for the tip, and I look forward to
>the same answer.  My unit is from a Jaguar, so it has the
>proper carrier holes for the stock ring gear.  The English
>gear has a larger threads than the US version.  Either can fit
>either, with a precision drilling of the carrier hole in the
>US DANA, or a stepped bolt in the English version, depending
>upon which rear end gears you use.  The "buttons", I am told,
>are the same on both sides.
         The buttons for the standard Dana 4 gear Positraction are as follows:

                 Overall length .750
                 Diameter of the mushroom head .625 although this is not
critical and could be larger
                 Thickness of mushroom head .135
                 Diameter of the shank .375
                 Hole thru center .125 although this is relieved to about
.130 for about 1/4 from the shank              end

         I have never seen an alternative to this design in Salsbury or
Dana units.  They mount, one from each side of the spider shafts on a
common 1/8" roll pin.  Their purpose is to transfer the thrust loads thru
the posi unit to the opposite axle bearing.  They essentialy float in this
captive space between the ends of the axles.  They also wear out and can
fail the roll pin allowing them to fall out of place when you pull an
axle.  I have an old International Part number (189950-R1) but they should
also be available from Dana distributors, or from Barry at Team Tiger.

Tom