Re: Secondary question

To: SJC Worldwide <rootes@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: Secondary question
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 20:49:47 -0700
Steve,

For a light car like a Tiger, you want the secondaries to come on rather
quickly. The best choice is the purple spring in the secondary spring set;
this one is a rather weak spring that lets the secondaries open relatively
early. I'm not sure how to tell if and when the secondaries are actually
opening. This is probably why a lot of people run double-pumper mechanical
secondaries - so they're damned sure they open and when. (Problem is, it's
always too early unless you have an unusual amount of self control.)

If you think you aren't getting all you should out of your motor, probably
the best course is to take it to a dyno shop and let them tune it. For
starters, though, a 600 cfm carburetor is WAY TOO BIG for a mild 260. You
might consider the Holley 1848 465 cfm carb, which would be a much better
match for your engine's displacement. Another thing to check is the
ignition timing. If it isn't properly advanced, this could make it run
sluggish. If you have a timing light and if the distributor is a mechanical
only advance, then set it to 36 degrees maximum, which it should reach by
2,500 - 3,000 rpm. If you don't have a timing light, just advance it some
and see if things improve. If it starts complaining; e.g., pinging or hard
to turn over when starting, then back off.

How about some comments on Tigers United for those of us who weren't able
to be there.

Best regards.

Bob